Monday, November 06, 2006

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!!

It's so very good to be home. We had a great time but I'm a little punchy having got in at 3:30 a.m., well, just about 4 hours ago, in fact, due to late planes and missed connections. Two places you should try to avoid - Atlanta Airport, any day and Las Vegas on a Sunday evening at midnight - craziness!!

South Carolina and Georgia were absolutely gorgeous. We were lucky and had great weather. We stayed 'pon top Edisto which means on Edisto Island. It's a resort place so a number of places were closed for the season and there's really not much to "do" except relax so every day we took a road trip off the island to experience what is a lovely area of our country.
These two photos are of the "backyard" of our condo. There are all sorts of warnings about not feeding or teasing the alligators. As if. One day, early on, my mom mentioned that she wished she'd see a alligator. I reminded her that as pristine as the resort was, it wasn't Disneyland and "seeing" an alligator, oh, say, under the stairs that lead up the front door at night probably wouldn't be that interesting. She agreed, sort of. I, on the other hand, was glad to keep the fauna at arm's length.


Each day we went on a different excursion. We went to Beaufort, Charleston and Savannah, and in each of those places we usually found a carriage or trolley to help us get acquainted with the sites and history.
Charleston was warm on the day we visited and the horse-drawn carriage ride provided a delicious breeze, as well as commentary on the port city. The homes are something to make a California girl's jaw drop. And look, they named a street after me. Now isn't that a dainty dish to set before the queen.

Savannah's homes are breathtaking, too, and the downtown area is fun to browse. While waiting to get in to Paula Dean's restaurant (so-so by the way) we popped into a shop full of the most beautiful wares. If you are ever in Savannah you have to check out The Paris Market. Look at these yummies I found. (Why does Blogger turn my pictures around?)


I have so many photos to show you (no groaning out there) but here are a couple to tease you. I don't know why the mannequin was on the street, this wasn't a a store, but you gotta love a place that styles a photo shoot for you. The one at the top of the post is another example.

I hardly ever take pictures of people being the misanthrope that I am, but golly, who needs humans when there are details like this stair rail to look at.

The days we moseyed on over to the beach were warm and pleasant. The islands are a great place to find sea shells. The scallop shells are smoky colors of brown and gray which I have never seen before.

I'm happy to be back, I missed writing and blogging and all my blogger friends. I'm happy to sleep in my own bed and see all the kids and all my friends here at school. I want to get going on lots of projects for swaps - my mind was working overtime thinking up stuff to make. Yeah, I'm as happy as a bird in a puddle to be back.

Now, I'm going to check out what you all have been up to while I was gone. Later Sugars

4 Comments:

Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

thanks for stopping in to visit me. I am so happy you are home safely.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

Welcome home dear one! Thank you for the eye-candy-licious photos, too!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Raesha D said...

How beautiful! I love the dress on the mannequin...hubby and I got to spend a week once in Hilton Head and is was great!

9:10 PM  
Blogger jen v said...

Your photos are lovely. Glad you had a good time and I see some fun things you found along the way. Welcome back.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home