Monday, November 13, 2006

C'mon Baby, Thrift and Shout

You know you thrift so fine!!!!! Well, if I do say so myself!! Look at this treasure, will ya.

So, we went up to Tahoe and scoured the thrift stores. I was looking for materials to use in my crafting and I really scored big time! I got these two wool sweaters to felt. These are high calorie sweaters. The colors are so rich and the texture so buttery.

I have never found old wallpaper in a thrift store before but look at this roll, tootsies. And underneath are four brand new placemats with a damask print that is so totally all the rage. Who would give those up?

I picked up about four yards of mattress ticking for $1.50 and the multi-colored stripe is another sweater to cut up and have my way with. The colors of the stripes practically sing they're so in tune.

These are napkin rings, handpainted and very Scandinavian, sitting on top of a fat quarter of cotton flannel printed with the tiniest little blue flowers. No plans for either, I was just grabbing at goodies. The red fabric peeking out there is four yards of a blue and red bandana-print heavy cotton, $2. Shake it up, baby, now!!!!

This is an unusual find. Four placemats and four cocktail napkins on this rather somber gray linen with green ivy leaves silk-screened over the corners. I thought they were different enough to maybe come in handy someday - gosh don't ask me how. I was just glomming on to anything of interest. I was thrift-starved.

The almost complete set of amber-patina-ed dominoes. I thought I could work those punkins onto a crown...or not. I love game pieces, don't you. They conjure up images of families gathered in a den with a fire blazing, everyone laughing and having a good time together. Yeah, that wasn't exactly my family experience but I like the image, nonetheless. The blue print fabric is a tiny little mini-skirt (size 5) that I will gleefully cut up and use in my holiday ornaments. (What? I'm not saying just because some one somewhere wears a size five that...you think I'm jealous? No. I said gleefully because, well, cutting things up is fun, you know. Who even thinks about sizes. Not me. No. Never).

Here we have the detail of a square tablecloth that I just adore. The tulips are appliqued and the rest is embroidered on the softest white cotton. I think this samba-salmon color is one of my favorites.

I know I'm not being so very humble about all this loot I discovered but just so you can see that it was not ALL FUN, look at what we woke up to on Saturday. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well no pain, no gain, they say but let me tell you "they" can take this snow and shovel it, I say.


Well, you know you got me going, girls, just like I knew you would!!!! Shake it, shake it, shake it, now!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger maggiegracecreates said...

I am gladd you had a good trip. Looks like a great haul too. I crafted a lot over the weekend. I have the stitched part of your return gift finished so now jsut to get it all together. Have a great day.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

Isn't a satiating thrift shop haul the absolute greatest?! Aaah, how I love thriftables! Which reminds me, I have some old soda bottles I need to take photos of!

7:21 PM  
Blogger jen v said...

That is some serious thrift store score girlie. Can't wait to see what you do with it all.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home